Are There Any Health Benefits to Decluttering?
December 22nd, 2021
Are you guilty of owning things you don’t need right away but still keeping them around? Although decluttering is often described as the act of freeing your surroundings of too much stuff, its scope goes much beyond mere clearing up of a physical space. While many adults turn to yoga, meditation, and even mandala for their mental health, decluttering can also help in a significant way. Read on to know the effects decluttering could have on your mental health.
- Puts you back in control: Often, cluttered spaces are overwhelming. They make us feel powerless and possibly even frustrated. Thus, decluttering and organizing can help you gain a sense of control and mastery over the situation.
- Improves decision-making: Being able to find what you want right away, without having to go through a pile of things, saves you time and boosts confidence.
- Helps you focus: According to verywellmind.com, clutter may lead to decreased focus, confusion, and tension. This is because a person’s visual cortex may be overwhelmingly distracted by objects in their immediate surroundings that are not related to a particular task.
- Helps reduce anxiety: According to Dr. Bhavna Barmi, Director of Psycare, cluttered surroundings cause anxiety, which is a serious disorder that must not be ignored. This is because a certain sense of doom clouds your mind owing to the sensory overload.
- Releases stress: At some point in our lives, we have all snapped at someone because we couldn’t find what we were looking for. While living under the same roof, clutter affects everyone. This is probably why decluttering improves personal relationships with family members and also fosters a healthy environment for individuals to dwell in. The sense of accomplishment derived from clearing up and organizing cluttered spaces is unparalleled.
- Helps practice mindfulness: Decluttering allows mindfulness. It also helps your mind be free of a constant state of overload and focus on self-improvement. Often after decluttering their spaces, people feeling a positive difference in their overall mood.
- Improves self-esteem: Even those accustomed to the most cluttered of spaces have been embarrassed by it at some point—especially when they have guests come over. This can be completely eliminated by decluttering and organizing your space, thus boosting your confidence levels and improving self-esteem.
- Boosts immunity: Decluttering also has physical health benefits such as lower risk of developing asthma, allergies, better sleep, and a healthy immune system.
Decluttering does not always mean you must get rid of everything that you don’t need right away. Understandably, you may need them later on. At Cherokee, we can help store your items in a perfect condition until you need them again. Contact our storage expert today for advice.